Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Life Online Mobile

For much of the last month, my online life has been conducted via my mobile phone.
The big difference is that I haven't read anything very long or deep for a while.
In theory, picking up a copy the Weekend Age (Melbourne's major broadsheet newspaper) should have tempted into a solid read - but I didn't have that reaction. I think the days of reading newspapers are gone for me. I suspect I now have a reluctance to read a passive medium one where I have no ability to split off to check a point/detail/issue as it arises in reading - or to add a blog note as a response thought occurs.
I find I get annoyed at having to eye-scan around to re-find something I'd noticed, or at the inability to clip text from the page to put into a search engine.
One the twitterers I follow recently said "dear newspapers: your industry is dying and it is your own goddamned fault" and I have to say I agree.
Not that I've been reading the web much on my mobile - full browsing I've reserved for matters of need. Instead, FaceBook and Twitter have been my friends, letting me keep in touch with folks back in W.A. via the latter and lightly entertained via the former. Quite often I've passed over Tweets with hyerlinks with "must read that page later" thoughts. And it is to do those that I'm waiting patiently to have a new home with a fast cheap net connection to enjoy.
I haven't missed TV at all. Thankfully I don't seem to have missed any operas on SBS on Saturday afternoons in January. I did a test recording of digital TV on the notebook last night (using an antenna cable+splitter that we had couriered to the serviced apartment) so hopefully that will cover whatever few unmissable things are coming up.

No comments: